Tuning shorthand

DaveAAAP@AOL.COM DaveAAAP@AOL.COM
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 16:47:52 EST

 Can someone help me out in understanding tuning shorthand?  When I start
studying different temperament and tuning techniques, I get bogged down
trying to figure out what they are trying to say.  I'm sure it's simple and
logical, but I've never seen a dictionary of terms and I don't want to miss
anything.
  Why is tuning an A3 to an A4 a 4:2 octave and tuning A2 from A3 a 6:3
octave?  How do you figure these ratios?
  Is the big "M" different from the little "m" (I'm assuming Major and minor)
and does "P" mean perfect or pure?

Dave Streit
Beaverton, OR