Tuning shorthand

David Renaud studiorenaud@qc.aibn.com
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 20:44:39 -0800

DaveAAAP@AOL.COM wrote:

>  Can someone help me out in understanding tuning shorthand?  When I start
> studying different temperament and tuning techniques, I get bogged down
> trying to figure out what they are trying to say.  I'm sure it's simple and
> logical, but I've never seen a dictionary of terms and I don't want to miss
> anything.
>   Why is tuning an A3 to an A4 a 4:2 octave and tuning A2 from A3 a 6:3
> octave?  How do you figure these ratios?

A3-A4 can be tuned as 2:1, 4:2, 6:3, or 8:4 etc. as you please, andthere
different are tests to prove for each "stretch".
As A2-A4 can be tuned to 2:1, 4:2, 6:3, 8:4 as you please,
and each corresponding stretch has a set of corresponding tests.

A3-A4 sounds best somewhere around a 4:2, perhaps a bit more
, and A2-A1 somewhere around a 6:3,  perhaps a bit more stretch.

So tuning A2-A3 does not give you a 6:3 octave,
you need learn to set it , tests to prove it, check it.

I like the "Coleman beat indicator:" as a teaching tool to study
the nomenclature. It is a visual way to see where the harmonics
line up and see how the tests for each stretch make sense.

Do a search in the archives, perhaps someone has already
described how to make one. I will check, and if not write a description
of one later tonight  (unless someone "BEATS" me to it....grin...)

                                                           Cheers
                                                           Dave Renaud
                                                           PT
                                                           Canada

>   Is the big "M" different from the little "m" (I'm assuming Major and minor)
> and does "P" mean perfect or pure?

Yes and Yes.