Tuning shorthand

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 16:38:56 -0800

>   Is the big "M" different from the little "m" (I'm assuming Major and
> minor)
>and does "P" mean perfect or pure?
>
>Dave Streit
>Beaverton, OR

Hi, Dave

Newton has, once again, demonstrated his erudition, but he made one slip:
(Don't take it hard, Newton!) He said "major fifth".

Since, in my early struggles (in vain) to make an income, I spent a year as
a sabbatical replacement teaching college music theory (sort of a year in
purgatory, I'm afraid), I bristle when I see "major fifth." Fifths aren't
major or minor: like fourths, they are perfect (that's what the P stands
for), augmented, or diminished. Seconds, Thirds, Sixths and Sevenths (and
their cousins which are an octave larger, such as 9ths, 10ths, etc.) are
major or minor.

If one takes a major interval, like a third, and makes it another semitone
larger, it is augmented (and a very strange bird.) If one takes a minor
interval, like a third, and contracts it another semitone, it is diminished
(and an equally strange bird.)

Spelling: C to D# is an augmented 2nd. C to Eb is a minor third. The number
of the interval is determined by the letters. C to E is always a third, no
matter how many semitones it contains (unless it is a tenth, etc.) C to D
is always a second, ditto, even if it is C# to Db (a diminished second,
sounds like a unison. You won't see it in real life, but technically, that
is what it would be.) Then the type (major, minor, etc.) is determined by
the number of semitones it contains. A minor third has three semitones, for
example.

Hope all that is clearer than mud. I think it behooves piano tuners to get
these things straight (and many were music majors and are very familiar
with it already). Some of our customers are musicians, after all, and we
don't want to seem ignorant. Spelling intervals is pretty basic: it was
first year theory I taught.

So, let's hope I didn't screw up the explanation. No fun, getting a red face.

Susan