Tuning shorthand

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 18:04:56 -0700 (MST)

Hi Dave:

A 4:2 type octave is one where the 2nd partial of the upper note of the
octave and the 4th partial of the lower note are in unison. This gives
an octave which is stretched a tiny bit more than if the 1st partial of
the upper not is matching the 2nd partial of the lower note. The first
type octave is check by a major 3rd-M10th test being equal. That is, the
F3-A3 3rd and the F3-A4 10 are equal.

A 6-3 type octave is where the 3rd partial of the upper note and the 6th
partial of the lower note of the octave are equal. This type is used mostly
in the lower Tenor section and upper Bass on most pianos and I recommend
using for the entire Bass for small pianos especially.

Get Rick Baldassin's book "On Pitch" which is available from the PTG home
office. It has a world of good information like this. He also defines the
P in perfect 4ths or P5ths as being the normal type of 4ths or 5ths. If
a 4th is widened by a semi tone, it is called an augmented 4th. If a 5th
is narrowed by a half step, it is called a diminished 5th. These are
music theory terms. We use little m to designate the 3 half-step 3rds and
M (big M) to designate the 4 half-step 3rds.

Jim Coleman, Sr.