How does CA cure?

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 19:27:08 -0800

At 08:30 PM 11/16/1999 -0600, you wrote:

> > I believe that using the kicker when doping pinblocks may be a mistake,
> > because it might set up the top layer, leaving the rest, deep in the hole,
> > sealed in so that moisture and air can't break down the stabilizer.
> > However, this is merely conjecture on my part.
> >
> > Susan Kline
>
>As long as we are on conjecture, I can imagine the action of CA glue on
>tuning pins.
>
>It "glues" the pin to the sides of the pinblock hole.  When the pin is
>turned this
>breaks the bond. The pin now is coated with bits of dried glue and broken off
>pinblock crumbs. The pin is now held because it is rough as in a
>rasp.  And the more
>it is turned as in tuning..... are you getting the same picture I
>am?   The reason
>for my conjecture is that once I put CA on bass T pins, and voila they
>were tighter.
>
>Then I had to let the bass strings down and when I turned them back up, not so
>voila, as in,  as they were.   ---riconjecture

Dear Ricon,

As an alternative picture, perhaps when the joint breaks the glue stays
stuck to the wood, which is porous, and takes with it a thin layer of metal
corrosion from the pin?

Maybe whoever has a totaled old wreck might drip in the CA, wait a week or
two, turn a few pins to break the joints, and then chop the whole thing
open to see what is there?

Susan