How does CA cure?

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 09:33:41 -0600

 Hi Susan,
               No, not longer but, I replaced a block that had the complete
bass doped with CA  5 years previous, the bass was still torquing quite
nicely but the rest of the piano was starting to fail.
It was a 3 ply block, I cut a section off the bass and through the TP holes
on the table saw. then run the cut through the disc sander. The CA glue
really penetrates the end grain a good mm, yet it lays on the surface of
the side grain.
There was CA glue on both the pins and the hole surface.
I have just finished repinning a grand with over sized pins, and low and
behold A0 really needed to be 2 sizes over. It was the only pin that was
out of torque range. two over night to dry applications of thin CA and I
can't tell the difference. Since it's the bottom pin I'm leaving it just to
see the comparison.
Feel free to call at 1yr intervals to monitor progress. If it is bad, no
big deal to fit a #4, in place of the #3
Now that's a good way to keep in touch.
Roger

>I think that using CA 7 or 8 years ago in pinblocks may make you one of the
>very first to try it. Has anyone here used it longer than that?
>
>Susan

Roger Jolly
Saskatoon, Canada.
306-665-0213