Disgruntled piano tuners-trivia

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 15:23:52 -0500

Still further off-subject, but on the subject of grunting...

I was recently replacing a few broken bass strings at the Church of What's
Happening Now and Bar-B-Que place. My usual (only) method for this is to
feed the wire down behind the keybed, then assume the Yoga position on the
floor to do the proctology portions of hooking up the string. I then stand
up and finish the installation, and repeat as required.

After a couple strings, my liaison at the church (who had been watching
intently) broke silence by saying, "You must be in really good shape". This
off-the-wall statement made me say, "Huh?"

He explained that not once in the sitting down or getting up process did he
here me "grunt" or moan, or, for that matter, make any sounds.

I replied that I like to reserve my grunts for the important stuff --
falling out of the attic (knee injury), riding an air-borne motorcycle
sideways to earth instead of jumping off (broken ribs), tripping over big
dog (permanent leg scarring), being hit in the head by lift-gate (bad
headache) -- things like that. IOW, I like to pick and choose when I grunt.
Getting down on the floor and back up does not qualify.

It just goes to show the things that people observe that they don't always
mention. Meanwhile, I'm thinking of making myself a hickory walking staff!

At 09:37 AM 11/17/99 -0500, you wrote:
>'grunt'...... means  1. To utter a deep, guttural sound, as a hog does.
>2. To utter a sound similar to a grunt, as in disgust.
>Of the two I prefer the latter...as in when you can't get a unision to behave
>itself after the 5th or 6th try or the repetition spring thingee won't work
>as you desire.
>Jim tnayrB (FL)

Jim Harvey, RPT
Greenwood, SC
harvey@greenwood.net
 -- someone who's been in the field too long.