Kawai GS 60

Don Mannino donmannino@mediaone.net
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 20:52:15 -0800

Michael,

Well, it's hard to remote diagnose, but maybe I can give you a few =
things to look at next time - although you probably have already thought =
of them, maybe someone else on the list would like to see the =
suggestions.

- If individual strings are beating strongly on their own, string =
matching won't do much. I'd check the bridge pins by placing a =
screwdriver on the pin of a particularly bad note, then see if pressure =
eliminates the beat in the string.  Sometimes loose bridge pins can make =
the tone really nasty.  A judicious application of C/A glue works =
wonders, or epoxy if the pin holes are really enlarged.

- I believe the GS-60 has a Boxwood cap in the treble (though I'm not =
positive - I don't have one to check).  This sometimes adds brittleness =
to the tone, adding to the difficulty of tuning unisons.  Hammer voicing =
will usually bring this in line.

- Slightly worn hammers really dirty up the tone in bright-toned pianos, =
and the GS-60 is a pretty bright piano (with hard hammers) to start =
with. A light shaping and needling just off the strike point for more =
warmth will certainly make the tone clearer for tuning.  It won't =
eliminate individual string falseness, of course.

- I have mentioned to others that the Kawai aliquot scale (sometimes =
called rear duplex) can be pretty lively, especially in a bright piano =
in an acoustically live room.  I always damp the back scale when tuning, =
and this eliminates a LOT of falseness.  That "dirtiness" adds to the =
tone color for the pianist, but it doesn't make tuning any better.

- I would also inspect the wire closely to see if anyone has seated them =
too hard, or pulled them up too hard at the capo bar.  Kinks in the wire =
sure spoil the tone.

Well, the list could surely go on - but these are the things I find =
pretty often in big Kawai grands.  Maybe others will add some =
suggestions and their experiences.

My opinion would be viewed as biased, of course, but I usually find that =
our pianos are pretty clean and nice to tune, although I see more brand =
new ones than used ones.  I hope you don't have this kind of trouble =
with other Kawais, though.

Don Mannino RPT