baldwin console

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sat, 20 Nov 1999 09:16:13 EST

In a message dated 11/19/99 11:08:28 PM !!!First Boot!!!, lesbart@juno.com
writes:

<< I went to tune a Baldwin console today and to fix some "clicky" keys.
 They clicked only on heavy blows.  I  could see nothing that caused the
 click.  Finally, I removed a front-rail punching (about.025), and the
 clicking stopped.  It messed up some other stuff, and I had to return
 some thinner punchings to several keys.   My thinking was that somehow
 the jack wasn't getting out far enough from the hammer butt.   Whatever
 the cause, I'd like to know what more experienced people think.

 Thanks
 les bartlett >>

If this Baldwin has rubber grommets at the end of the keys, you've located
the problem. Over the years, the rubber grommet gets hard, which causes the
clicking. The only solution is to replace the grommets.

One piece of advice. The nut on top of the grommet is the same size as the
tip of your tuning hammer. But don't use the tuning hammer. Get a tuning pin
socket. Put it in a power driver with a 1/4" drive. It will save lots of
time. Bring along an extra battery for the driver.

Good luck

Wim