Corea Concert anywhere

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Sun, 21 Nov 1999 04:06:33 +0100

ETomlinCF3@AOL.COM wrote:

> Anteres,
>
> I am not saying that I had a problem with Chick.  He was a wonderful pianist
> and a gentleman.  However, he is agressive at the keys.  He even plays a
> number where her leans over and strikes strings with a mallet.  I was just
> saying that having an outdoor event with little to no time to tune and prep
> is not optimum.
>
> Ed Tomlinson

It is true he uses mallets and hands on the strings. Tho he does not strike them
hard. I talked to him about this after the concert. Seems he knows actually a
good deal about what tuners do, and has a lot of respect for them, and what they
(attempt to) do. I personally have not experience a piano getting "pounded" out
of tune to this degree at any time in my tuning career since my earliest days.
Sure you might get some very slow beats in unision, but nothing like 2-3 beats
per second on as many unisions as was the case last nite. My call is that the
tech just tried to hard. He says himself he sat 4 hours tuning it on that day.

In any case, this was an indoor concert, piano well preped and as climatized as
anyone could hope for given the fact that it was moved in from Sweeden, was well
enough played in etc. I checked it after the show, and it was very clean.
(octaves could have been better, but I didnt get a chance to do anything else but
clean up the unisions during the break). His last number in this second set was
the "mallet" number by the way. And he played two encores. La Fiesta (really
nice) and a wonderful version of Spain.

Dont know what to say Ed.. but I just have never experienced a piano going out of
tune during a concert. And I am not a pounder by any means. Grin.. it will
probably happen to me in Arlington this year... well its got to happen sooner or
later. (knock three times)

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway