white powder

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Sat, 20 Nov 1999 21:35:05 -0600

Pat Neely wrote:

> I was in a second hand store and they had a Story&Clark it was
> full of white powder I wouldn't touch it, I think I read
> somewhere that it could be poison . I felt real dumb when he
> said someone had told him they put baby powder to dry it out {
> not obvious signs of moisture

I found this once in a piano, an old antique upright.  It was
full of the stuff, particularly in the keybed- what a mess!  I
think the idea was to "keep the piano dry", one of those old
wives tales like putting a jar of water in the bottom is supposed
to provide humidify control.  Pay it no mind and clean the mess
up.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV