Jack Spring experiment

John R Fortiner pianoserv440@juno.com
Sun, 21 Nov 1999 13:02:35 -0700

OK a serious answer:  The energy goes into the chemical reaction.  As the
springs are being "eaten away" by the acid the energy is released as heat
- which inturn - speeds up the reaction.  Of course, eventually (
assuming that you DID get the top on the jar successfully ) that energy
is found in the room that the jar is in as the heat is transferred into
the air in the room.

John R. Fortiner
Billings MT ( where winter is approaching at a much too rapid rate )
Come to think of it, maybe we could warm up the state if we had enough
jack springs.  For that to work, however, the jack springs would have to
be compressed in warm Florida and then transferred to Montana. :-))