New Customer Fee.

Graeme Harvey gharvey@netsource.co.nz
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 23:07:13 +1300

Hi Larry,

I agree with you on the point that, with our first visit to a new customer,
we frequently find the piano hasn't had a service for years.
Also the first visit is really our best and only chance to explain to the
customer the real condition their piano is in. If we simply wiz through the
basic tuning and service and neglect to point out other problems at the
time, then, see how difficult it is to point them out on the next visit. The
customer will wonder why you omitted mentioning these things the last time
you were there.
In fact the first visit is crucial in many ways,
    - establishing a rapport with the customer, breaking the ice so to
speak.
    - outlining the condition of their piano.
    - doing a first class job of whatever we're called to do, charging
accordingly of course.
    - setting up future service calls, education on maintenence etc.
    - allowing the customer to see good reason for having chosen you for
their service work etc.

Having said that I don't charge any special fee for a new customer, but I do
cover the ground with them about their piano. I give a written quote
suggesting recommended repair and maintenance, allowing them space to decide
without undue pressure form me. If they don't decide on the spot at least
the seed is sown  in their mind that their piano will need some work, and
hopefully if I've done everything right so far, I'll be the one they choose
to do it.
Just my 2c worth,

Graeme Harvey
New Plymouth NZ