Comdex show- WOW!! (off topic)

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Sat, 20 Nov 1999 22:18:59 -0600

<way off topic, but cool)

I folks,

I attended the last day at the Comdex show on Friday.  It is not
open to the public but I was given a couple passes.  For those
who are not familiar, Comdex is the worlds largest computer and
technology expo held annualy in Las Vegas where manufacturers,
engineers, and designers show off their new products to wholesale
buyers and industry.  It is absolutely huge and filled every
corner of three convention centers, (Las Vegas Convention Center,
the convention facilities at the L.V. Hilton, and the Sands
facility).  Bill Gates of course was on hand to do his typical
presentations.  Seminars and private presentations were abound.
It kind of makes the PTG convention seem like a group picnic and
McDonalds.  Anyway, thousands of manufactures had booths
everywhere and I got to see some pretty cool stuff.

Among some of the more interesting is a new type of computer
monitor that allows you to see in 3-D without glasses.  Pretty
darn cool!  There was also a new robotics simulator introduced by
Philips that you could try out.  It is designed for the home
market.  You sit in a seat and a large monitor is in front of
you.  the entire thing is supported by five pneumatic pistons.
There are built in pedals and joystick controls.  If you are into
gaming this thing is seriously hard core!

One new really practical thing is "electronic business cards".
essentially these are "cards" with a hole in the middle that you
pass out to people.  They fit into any CD-ROM which can then give
a short multimedia presentation about you.  I got a sample which
I took home and it really works.

One of the most mind blowing things I saw were TV glasses.  They
look like a pair of strange sun glasses but when you put them on
you have an instant crystal clear huge wide screen television.
The glasses have built-in stereo headphones.  With a portable DVD
player you have your own personal and portable movie theater.
Unbelievable!  This was presented by Olympus, the camera folks.

There were lots of MIDI and sound applications as well.
Voyetra/Turtlebeach had a huge display of some great new hardware
and likewise did Roland.  Yamaha had a booth but I was very
disappointed.  They had absolutely no music products whatsoever.
I inquired and I was amazed that the hosts didn't have a clue
what I was talking about! (Come on guys, get with the program!!)
My guess is that these people are hired outside demo people and
have limited knowledge of the company.

Well anyway I could go on but I'll just say that this was an eye
opening view of what new technologies are waiting just around the
corner.  I also got tons of free stuff ranging from T-shirts to
free software.  I got for FREE a really neat program called "Go
Back".  I have loaded it on and it really works with no effort at
all.  Essentially it corrects your mistakes if you screw up files
or system settings.  It can restore files that you accidentally
deleted, reset system changes that you didn't intend to, or even
reset the hard drive to the exact way it was even days earlier.
I also got a FREE full version of a professional office program
called "Star Office".  It includes a word processor, spreadsheet,
database, presentation program, drawing, and more.  It is
completely integratable with other programs such as word and
excel.  Darn nice for free I'd say.  I even got a dorky looking
hat in the shape of a software box.  Now how could I be happier!!

Anyway this was a really great thing to see and I wish I could
have spent some more time there.  After eight hours fast walking
I say hundreds of venders and thousands of new products and still
NEVER got to the main convention center!!  It would take days to
see all of this!  (Oh... I didn't see Bill Gates either, but
Microsoft was EVERYWHERE!)

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV