Victor console

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 19:24:58 +0100

Stephen Powell wrote:

> Actually Richard, today I talked to a woodwind tech who is forcing dealers
> to take back bad instruments by refusing to servicing them.  He believes
> this is the way to combat some of the rubbish that is coming into the
> country.

Good for him... course we gots to be carefull not to get too like... arrogant in
this regard, but it seems clear that there are substandard pianos being produced
that most of us can be in aggreement about. I get so sick and tired of having to
see the look in folks faces when they find after experience with several tuners,
that they have purchased a piece of garbage. I wish... well...

> But it can still be difficult trying to explain to a client that their piano
> that looks like a lovely instrument is in fact a POS, especially if they
> bought it from a dealer and paid a lot for it.
>  Thanks for your response.

Yep.. this is real tough at times. Still in some cases I wonder if we are not
doing ourselves, and the customers, to say nothing of the industry at large, a
bears service by putting up with these things. How many good, or at least
reasonable good german, american and other factories have gone down the tubes
because they couldnt compete with these cheapos. I remember a russian piano that
came into a local store a couple years back. One week in the store and the
soundboard fell apart. Literally. Ribs cracked in half, panel pulled like
waaayyyy away from the rim. It got sent back, and replaced by another that did
the same thing. There are over 50 of these in Norway according to the import
lists. Would like to think there was some way of putting a stop to this kinda
thing.

Ah... welll... lifes a drag and then you die... grin

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway