Wurlitzer

Ed Carwithen musicman@highdesertnet.com
Thu, 25 Nov 1999 12:38:12 -0800

What is with Wurlitzer.  Every one that I work with rings like a banjo in
the upper treble.  Do they make these things do this for a purpose?  Even a
Wurlitzer grand that I tuned awhile ago has rotten tone in the same
register.. twangy and brittle.  I did move the strings slightly to get rid
of some fuzz, but the tone is still awful.  Voicing and hammer work doesn't
really help it much.

And what is the deal in the Wurlitzer spinet and studio models that have
the bump just under the upper part of the speaking length of the string?
What is that all about?  As far as I can see its only use is to make sure a
tuner can't get a mute in behind the string (again above the treble break).

There must be some plan behind all this.  I might feel better if I knew
that it wasn't personal ("Hey Bubba, maybe Carwithen will tune this some
day. Let's make his life hell.. heh heh heh")

Anyone know????

Ed Carwithen
John Day OR