mother of pearl

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Thu, 25 Nov 1999 13:25:04 -0600

kam544@flash.net wrote:

> >...I do recall that mother of pearl is bad news to work with though...
> >Stephen Birkett...
>
> What about some of the accordians that have what appears to be Mother of
> Pearl on the keys?  Or was this some sort of look-a-like material?
> However, if it is genuine, would not this negate some of the bad news
> concept?

Perhaps there are some exceptions but "mother or pearl" accordion keys is an
artificial material.  Sort of the "daughter of pearl" for lack of a better
term.  This was largely a fad in the earlier part of the century through the
late 50s.  I imagine there might have been some real used in the past
century, (probably what was being imitated), but then again accordions
weren't exactly a mass produced item back then.

Rob "Squeeze box" Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV