Kimbal/Piano disk

Joe & Penny Goss imatunr@primenet.com
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 11:14:17 -0900

List,
In working on a Kimbal grand that has been fitted with a piano disk system,
the major complaint was "the piano disk unit causes lots of noise".
I  have done the following to quiet the unit but can still hear unwelcome
noise.
Bedded the key frame
lubbed the frame drawer
tightened all binding screws in the action, rim and case parts
adjusted sustain
I was not able to service the piano disk   action parts that raise each key
It is my belief that the most of the remaining noise is the result of the
key stick being raised too fast or far so that when it returns to the key
bed it does so with a clatter. Very softly but still a noise  that is not
heard when the piano is played by human means.

Would replacing the balance rail felt punchings or front felt help?