"snootty" fee was Re: Pitch Raises

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 16:48:28 EST

In a message dated 11/25/99 7:25:08 PM !!!First Boot!!!, lesbart@juno.com
writes:

<< One of our locals was asked something about billing and how he decides to
 do it and his response was, "Depends on how far my foot sinks in the
 carpet."  Snotty, yes, but perhaps not so much.  If He or She asks me to
 tune their piano, and has not taken the trouble to keep it tuned for
 years, and has plenty of money to pay for discretionary things, as
 interpreted by the depth of the padding in carpet, I'll charge an extra
 bit for a pitch raise. If S/He can't afford, or seems not to be able to
 afford such, I'll let it go, and simply encourage them to keep it
 tuned........
 les b
 houston >>

Charging based on the depth of the pile is contrary to the interpretation of
our mission.  Instead of padding the bill for discretionary things, a more
honest way to is to charge every one the same for all the work you do, but
give a discount to those you feel "deserve" a break.

To paraphrase a car commercial, are rich people more deserving of our service
than poor people?  And by the same token, should rich people pay more for
that service than poor people?  The answer to both questions should be no.

You will gain much more respect in the community if you give some people a
break, instead of charging some people more for the same service than others.
 If you do extra work, charge accordingly, but don't base it on the depth of
the pile.

Willem