Kimbal/Piano disk

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 16:57:16 EST

In a message dated 11/26/99 6:30:52 PM !!!First Boot!!!, imatunr@primenet.com
writes:

<< List,
 In working on a Kimbal grand that has been fitted with a piano disk system,
 the major complaint was "the piano disk unit causes lots of noise".
 I  have done the following to quiet the unit but can still hear unwelcome
 noise.
 Bedded the key frame
 lubbed the frame drawer
 tightened all binding screws in the action, rim and case parts
 adjusted sustain
 I was not able to service the piano disk   action parts that raise each key
 It is my belief that the most of the remaining noise is the result of the
 key stick being raised too fast or far so that when it returns to the key
 bed it does so with a clatter. Very softly but still a noise  that is not
 heard when the piano is played by human means.

 Would replacing the balance rail felt punchings or front felt help?

Joe;

The problem might be with the hammer rest rail.  You don't say what size
Kimball, but I had a customer complained of a similar noise on a LaPetit, and
after talking with Roger W., he suggested replacing the hammer rest rail
strip with a thicker cloth.  It eliminated about half the noise, to the
satisfaction of the customer.

Try it on this piano.