strings that don't wish to render

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 11:00:00 -0600

>I am having great difficulty with a Young Chang six foot grand. The tuning
>pins are *very* tight and when I reach the pressure bar area the strings
>*hang* and then *let* go moving sometimes 40 cents almost instantly.
>
>I do remember mention of phosphore bronze rod in this area of this make.
>
>My question is:
>
>Is there a lubricant that could be used? or must the *rod* GO!
>Regards,
>Don Rose, B.Mus., A.M.U.S., A.MUS., R.M.T., R.P.T.

I'd like to know the answer to this one too. I haven't found a lubricant I
like, (read: that works) and replacing the rod may just get you the
opportunity to repeat the problem. Is the brass just too soft, or is it a
"finish" or some other surface contaminant that was on the bar when it was
installed? When it happens in an agraffe, everyone says it's the shape of
the hole, but reshaping the hole also removes any surface contamination. I
can't see shape being a real factor, within reason, with a counter bearing
bar,  and if it's brass hardness or composition, wouldn't all the bars and
agraffes, or none of the bars and agraffes do this?

Ron N