strings that don't wish to render

Don Mannino donmannino@mediaone.net
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 09:24:48 -0800

Don,

There are some YC grands with a zinc bearing piece under the capo bar, and others with a brass rod set into a groove in the capo bar.  You can see / feel this if you check at the far treble end, by note 88.  In my experience the brass rods render very well but have a lot of buzziness in the tone, while the zinc has a cleaner tone (it is softer than the brass) but the strings stick to it.

It is most likely that your problem is caused by the zinc casting.

Protec helps, but do be careful.

The brass used was very hard material, the iron in the plate was quite soft, and the zinc was in-between.

Don Mannino

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Don
Sent: Saturday, November 27, 1999 6:24 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: strings that don't wish to render

Hi all,

I am having great difficulty with a Young Chang six foot grand. The tuning
pins are *very* tight and when I reach the pressure bar area the strings
*hang* and then *let* go moving sometimes 40 cents almost instantly.

I do remember mention of phosphore bronze rod in this area of this make.

My question is:

Is there a lubricant that could be used? or must the *rod* GO!
Regards,

drose@dlcwest.com
http://donrose.htmlplanet.com/

3004 Grant Rd.