Graphite removal

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 14:26:53 -0500

Brian, I particularly enjoy using powered devices wherever possible. With
that in mind, and if the 'eraser' thing is working, I'm thinking along the
lines of a small powered eraser used by draftsmen. Those look like a Dremel
Moto-Tool, but are a dedicated machine. I suspect it would cost too much to
gear up for this, and the eraser nibs are pretty small too. So...

Thought #1: Think about a small diameter eraser (wheel) mounted in an
electric drill. I've had several variations of these wheels in the past,
but can never seem to find the same device twice in a row. I remember one
such wheel being called "Cratex", or something close to that.
Unfortunately, that one may have contained an abrasive as well -- much like
Polita polish for piano strings.

Thought #2: Failing anything that plugs in the wall or runs off batteries,
skip to the chase and get a sanding belt eraser. These work quite well as a
regular eraser. They're simply larger versions. Most Home Depot type places
have them for less than $10US.

Thought #3: The poor man's version of #2... a crepe or rubber shoe heel.
Some really desperate folks have even been known to use old sneakers to
clean sanding belts.

Jim Harvey, RPT
PS: That wouldn't happen to be a Kawai piano, would it? I saw one where
everything was graphited just as you described.