Graphite Removal

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 15:30:30 EST

 <<  Someone has previously rubbed a graphite stick onto the entire area of
the underside of the key frame as well as the entire keybed.  They obviously
did not realise that graphite was unsuitable and that only a small portion of
the two areas actually come into contact.  How do I get the stuff off?   >>

Greetings,
   An eraser will only  burnish the stuff into the wood.  What has worked for
me in the past is to turn the keyframe upside down, securely supported (off
the key pins),
and use a new, single-edge, razor blade as a small scraper.  It cleans off
the top .002" of the frame and will remove most of the graphite. Moving back
and forth, keep the blade as vertical as possible while still being able to
comfortably draw it along the wood.  I normally clean keyframes like this.
     Don't fall in love with the razor, when it gets dull, get a fresh one.
A frame may use two or three blades, but will reward you with clean wood to
begin an action on.
   The keybed?  I would use the blades there too, but it sure is easier to
cut yourself if you get in a hurry and your hand stumbles over the edge.......
Regards,
Ed Foote