Tool Tip: (was Re: de gluing)

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 15:03:07 -0500

List,

The discussion of using a hammer shank extractor caused me to remember a
couple of my recent tool modifications. Perhaps this information could be
of use to someone else.

For field (non-shop) applications, I use vertical and/or grand extractors,
respectively. However, I have never liked the "handles" (for lack of a
better word) on either of these tools. The tools just won't store as nicely
in the kit as other, straight or more symmetrical tools.

To help somewhat, I removed the handles from both these tools, and
ground/filed the tips of the screw portion to fit the chuck on a cordless
screwdriver chuck. Results: no more tennis elbow (at least from this
exercise), more efficient (faster), and yet slow enough to still provide
control and not do any damage to parts.

Okay, what IF the cordless screwdriver battery dies when I need it?
Although other tools could be used (pliers, Vise-Grips, tuning hammer(?)).
For a different reason, I also carry a cheap compact screwdriver, the
plastic handle of which holds 4 s/d bits and a short extension for those
bits. The handle for this tool becomes my non-powered backup.

You heard it here first.

Jim Harvey, RPT and tool junky
PS: Newt, if you see this, don't forget to ask Dan Levitan about using a
tuning hammer and grand lock key for hammer head removal!