Wham Bang

PAT A RALPH KENNETH.GERLER@prodigy.net
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 23:24:05 -0600

Yes list,

I was called several years ago to service a 6 month old Samick studio =
that had "a few broken" strings "that should be replaced under =
warrenty".  When I got there, there were no less than 23 broken bass =
strings ALL at the upper bridge.  Needless to say, I left the bill with =
the church and advised them to get a different musician or give "him" =
some lessons on how and how not to play the piano.

Ken Gerler

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Brian Holden=20
  To: Pianotech Forum=20
  Sent: Wednesday, November 24, 1999 11:08 PM
  Subject: Wham Bang

  I have been reading the comments regarding breaking strings and Gospel =
pianists.  I cannot hold off my 2c worth any longer.  I have been =
servicing a Yamaha P2 at a school for about 15 years.  Up until about 5 =
years ago there was no problem, then almost overnight the bass strings =
started popping .  I initially replaced them with hexicores, but =
eventually succumbed to putting on a brand new replacement set direct =
from the Yamaha suppliers.  To my horror within a week one of those =
broke.  We narrowed it down to a church group that had recently started =
hiring the hall, around the time that the problem initially started.  =
Even then, I thought it was just a coincidence.  The church group moved =
on and the problem stopped.  They started meeting at another school and =
yes you've guessed it - strings started breaking on that piano too!
  =20
  I found out that it was the same pianist in both cases and when I =
discreetly asked someone how loud he played, the answer was "hard - very =
hard".  It transpired that he played a lot of chords and used excessive =
use of the accelerator (sustain pedal).  Thank God he's now moved away.  =
Another two pianos I do at other churches of similar type also suffer =
regularly breaking strings.  Yes, I am convinced to the point of =
knowing, that the consequences of hard playing result in broken strings =
and that the problem is prevalent in Gospel type churches.  My =
suggestion on more than one occasion to the Pastor is to have the plate =
passed around twice - once for the church and one for the piano repairs. =
 Brian Holden =20
  =20
  I could go on about the treble strings that I regularly have to =
replace on a new Yamaha U1 for a brilliant but heavy handed child =
prodigy, but I think of gone well over time already. =20