Sanderson Charts

Sy Zabrocki only4zab@imt.net
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 23:59:16 -0700

TOPIC: Unusual Sanderson Charts?

My Sanderson Accu-Tuner will be ten years old in a few days. Back then =
Sanderson included ten free charts loaded into the first 10 pages. These =
charts were handy when first learning how to use the SAT. To make sure =
the charts were not accidently lost I decided to copy them on paper. I =
then noticed Sanderson had used unusual partials to record the note =
cents numbers.=20

Normally we would tune notes A0 up to B2 as a 6:3 octave so the note A0 =
cents number would be recorded at partial E3. Sanderson had recorded the =
A0 at partial A2. The other notes up to F6 also were recorded at =
different partials than we use today or those used by FAC. Well this =
confused me and I remember calling Al Sanderson about this.=20

I don't remember his explanation but it's obvious the charts were =
accurate, just recorded at different partials. He must have tuned note =
A0 as a 6:3 octave at partial E3, then dropped down to partial A2, =
stopped the lights and stored the cents. At E3 the cents for note A0 =
might be (-18.3) but at A2 the cents would be lower at maybe (-24.5).

Using the charts was no problem but I always wondered why the partials =
were stored that way. One of the charts was the Steinway D. The 1989 SAT =
manual on Page A16 even has a sample form with these unusual partials.

In 1996 I updated to FAC and don't used charts that much anymore. =
Eventually you learn how to make your own charts (if you have the time). =

Sy Zabrocki
Billings, MT