String Breakage

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 11:50:22 -0600

> How come I break strings so easily on the M & H, and I can practice and play
> the living daylights out of a 1901 Story and Clark upright (original parts),
> and not even stir the tuning job?  Now I understand that the M & H needs
work
> done on it to prevent string breakage, longer tuning stability, etc., but
> this Story and Clark has been sitting and hardly had any work done to it (a
> tuning once a year), much longer than the M & H has or ever will.

The cold presssed hammers of by gone days, is very soft compared to most of
the
modern hammers. Walnut vs Maple moldings will make a significant difference in
hammer mass.
String this old, will be stable with regards to tuning, but I'll bet the
singing quality is below par.
Unless I could see and hear the condition of both instruments, it would be
impossible to add very much more that has already been stated by others.
Regards roger
Roger Jolly
Saskatoon, Canada.
306-665-0213