String breakage in relation to hammer mass

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 09:07:57 EST

In a message dated 11/28/1999 9:34:07 PM, pianobuilders@olynet.com writes:

<<<<<<"If a hammer is unusually heavy will it contribute to string breakage?

 Michael">>>>>>

<<<<" Michael;

>  The short answer is yes. The long answer is yes, explained by

E=MC(squared) > :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)">>>>

----------------- -------------------- --------------------- ---------------

<<"The short answer is maybe, but probably not by itself."
Del">>

Del;
 The question was "contribute" not 'cause'. In my way of thinking the
"heavier" hammer will "contribute" in several ways, i.e., a. It will result
in more forceful playing to acheive the same volume as with a lighter hammer.
 b. It will have a longer force dissipation contact time with the string. (?)
among others.

  Although "saturation" certainly figures in the equation at some point I
would think that the 'significant' differences would not show up until the
higher end is reached, or is my thinking faulty here?

  It really is interesting how a tounge in cheek remark will foster so many
different responses and viewpoints Huh? :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)