What would you do?

Stephen Powell pianotec@ihug.co.nz
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 08:31:17 +1300

Jarred, have the piano sent back!  I believe that some problems in new =
pianos are intolerable - and this is one of them.

Stephen Powell
Auckland NZ
    -----Original Message-----
    From: Jarred Finnigan <jfinnigan@optusnet.com.au>
    To: pianotech@ptg.org <pianotech@ptg.org>
    Date: Monday, 29 November 1999 09:21 PM
    Subject: What would you do?
   =20
    Hi list!
    I have recently subscribed to this list and before posing my little =
dilemma I would just like to express how grateful I am for the great =
wealth of experience that exists out there, thanks!
   =20
    I do a fair bit of tuning for one of Australia's largest piano =
houses and today came across a slightly unusual problem (unusual to me =
anyway).  I was pitch raising a brand new "Gors & Khalman" upright out =
of the "Pearl River" factory in China (yuk, awful).  As you will know if =
you have ever had the "privilege" of tuning one of these instruments =
they typically have extremely tight tuning pins.  This one had very =
loose pins two of which would not even hold pitch.
   =20
    Of course I have been asked to write the mandatory report.  Apart =
from the obvious re-pin, what would you do?
    Any replies greatly appreciated.
   =20
    Jarred Finnigan
    APTTA    PTTG (VIC)