What would you do?

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 23:43:55 EST

In a message dated 11/29/99 6:53:20 PM Pacific Standard Time,
richardb@c2i.net (Richard Brekne) writes:

<< grin.. in an unbelievably long brawl of sicilian baloney... (all in fun
Bill.:) ) >>

Well, that's my greatest talent, so I hear.  Sometimes I read a little too
quickly.  I didn't really absorb the part about that piano not having been
sold yet.  Really, I might very well take the position of most of you and
decline to work on that piano altogether.  However, there are sometimes
unusual circumstances.  Perhaps this piano was sold really cheap but was done
so at the Buyer's risk and that buyer took the chance that it would be OK.

Now there are all the rebuilders who only replace pinblocks in fine grands
who shudder at the thought of any "Band-Aid" treatment and just couldn't be
bothered with such a lowly orphan as this.  Ditto the "I only do Steinways"
guys.  "Send it back"  "Don't touch it".  That's pretty easy to say.  But
maybe this piano is basically good, just one of those that needs some rather
major preparation.  You have to be willing to accept that there is a time and
place for everything, no matter if that "thing you do" is not something that
you personally would ever do.

So, If I may, I would like to encourage experienced technicians who give
advice and information to those who are working there way up to avoid the all
to easy answer unless a good reason is given to specifically not use some
kind of alternative repair.   You couldn't interest me in doing this kind of
repair on any "Grand", Jesse French, Poole, or Winter spinet but there might
be somebody for whom the circumstances are right and I would not discourage
it.

To do so would encourage that short list into growing to include just about
every piano ever made.  I once used CA pinblock treatment on a Steinway B
that had been really butchered.  There was no money to "do it over" and if I
had not done what I did, the entire symphony chorus and opera rehearsals
would have had a real problem.  I personally would have been negatively
affected as a performing musician, to say nothing of my work as a technician.
 I chose to work through the problems and accomplish *something* instead of
nothing.

Granted, what I did might only get another 15 years out of the piano before
it is worn out again but you could say that about a really good rebuilding
job on a piano which is heavily used.  What could anybody suppose an easy
dismissal such as "Tell'em to buy a new one." or "Sue the jerk that did
that!" would have accomplished? Perhaps in 15 years, they will have the money
to get a brand new one or at least have it properly restored after accepting
what that will really cost to do it right.

But in the end, I must wholeheartedly agree, Richard, "Ya gotta know where to
draw the line!".

Regards,
Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin