one string per hitch pin

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 00:39:13 -0600

----------
> From: Matthew Todd <mtodd@pianotech88.com>
>
> I do agree with you here.  Older piano's are more durable this way than
modern
> piano's.  By the way, why do piano's have two strings per hitch pin
(besides
> Boesendorfer's of course)?  Can that design be changed to one string per
hitch pin
> in the process of rebuilding a particular piano?

Yes it can sort of.   Tying two strings to one hitch pin does not put any
more pressure on it that one string wraped around to make two speaking
lengths.  Well dependng on how you tie them there will be one string
pulling on the hitch pin slightly higher than a single string doubled
around.  At any rate a hitch pin for a double string will support double
the tension...so if the tension for one string is 170, the hitch pin will
be supporting 340 lbs. If you take your question literalery one string per
hitch pin in a rebuild would result in a "two stringer"  ---riconone