Down-striking discovery and up-striking pianist

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 19:01:17 -0700

><<Boiling Point, temperature at which the vapor pressure of a liquid
slightly
>exceeds the pressure of the atmosphere above the liquid.>>
>
>Elian;
>OK..you got me :-) I was much too hasty and transposed thoughts...you are
>correct and I was wr........wron............not correcti.  It takes more
BTUs
>to bring water to a boiling point at altitude than it does at sea
level...but
>it does not raise the temperature at which boiling happens.
>Sheepisly..
>Jim Bryant (FL)

I don't understand the BTU thing, Jim. Okay, water boils more easily at
high altitude, because the air isn't pushing down on it so hard, so it's
easier for the water molecules to up, up and away ... so why would it take
more BTU's to boil?

I remember which way the boiling thing goes by remembering that Tibetans
drink their tea at boiling temperature, but don't get burnt.

Susan