Mail Undeliverable: Failure Detected

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 11:35:30 -0500 (CDT)

Could not send message to USER: jennfee
Reason for Mail Failure below:

Message not Delivered.  Recipient's Mailbox Over Quota.

>If you build a data base of scales from pianos with good and poor tuning
>stability, you will find that the percentage of breaking strain deviation
>is a critical stability indicator. After some experience, you will be
>able to predict the inherent stability for a given piano, just by looking
>'in the lid'.

>Ron E. Overs

Hi Ron,

First, in the interest of brevity, I'm calling the percentage of breaking
tension %break here. Eventually, we need to propose some industry standard
term for this, but in the interim...

Since the stretch calculation formulae I've been able to find take %break
into account, what you've said makes sense, but raises a question.

Designing a scale, and graphing tension, inharmonicity, impedance, and
%break, you can't get smooth transitions between the monochords and
bichords, the bass tenor break, and wound to plain string unisons, with all
four factors at once. What, roughly are your compromise priorities in
splitting the difference between tuning stability, tunability, and tone
quality? You've got to fudge something somewhere, and I was wondering how
you approach the trade off(s).

Thanks,
 Ron N