Down-striking discovery and up-striking pianist

Jonathan Adams jmadams@telusplanet.net
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 15:22:15 -0600

Hi, Jim,

Theoretically, the piano would have more volume at sea level and less
volume as the altitude increases.  Thinner air = weaker tone.  There is a
neat experiment that I have seen with a fire alarm bell placed within a
sealed jar.  A vaccuum is created resulting in very low air pressure within
the jar.  Although the bell is very loud at normal air pressure, when the
vaccuum is applied, the sound fades until it is hardly audiable.

Whether or not 5,000 feet would be high enough to result in a noticable
difference, I don't know.

Stacy Adams
PTG Associate Member