Prices for rebuilding work

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Sat, 2 Oct 1999 01:27:41 -0400

At the risk of someone yelling fire in our theater, I'd like to ask for =
some input.

I know that it can be construed as price fixing if we all get together =
and agree as to a particular price we should all charge for a particular =
product or service.  That ain't where I'm coming from.

I need some perspective of what other people are charging for rebuilding =
work.  A large piano store in my area has made mention of much =
rebuilding work that they could 'send my way', only they have requested =
a 'price list' of sorts.  I've got some ideas for much of it, but having =
been an employee for so long, and not having access to the 'bottom =
lines', I'm a little in the dark as to what others might be charging.

On the one hand, I don't want to be too cheap.  If a complete bellying =
for a 6' grand might be considered reasonable at $4,500, I don't want to =
be busting my hump trying to do these jobs for $2,500, just so I'll be =
the cheapest guy in town.  On the other hand, I haven't yet established =
a reputation that would allow me to charge $6,500 for the same job and =
expect to get it because I can demonstrate that I'm worth it.

I've had many discussions with this particular dealer, and although =
we're on a friendly basis, I can be sure he won't be the first to start =
throwing out numbers. (Isn't there an old saying about the first guy =
that throws out a number loses?)  I have indicated on a number of things =
that I most likely won't be the cheapest guy around, but rather he'll =
have a product that'll be of very high quality, the kind worthy of a =
premium price.  Now, how do I determine just what that price is... =
that's the six million dollar question...

Of my local guild chapter, there's only two other people who are doing =
serious rebuilding work, neither of which particularly wish to talk =
about prices.

So basically, I'm left with a situation where I'd like to find some =
input, but don't particularly know where or how.

Any figures, thoughts, ideas, or other remarks you'd like to send my =
way?  I'd be open to any and all of them.  If you think it's too hot a =
topic for the list, feel free to e-mail me privately. =20

Not wanting to stir up trouble.  Just looking for input.

I hope you'll all have a nice weekend.

Thanks,

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA