Prices for rebuilding work

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Sat, 2 Oct 1999 06:49:15 EDT

Brian writes:
>Of my local guild chapter, there's only two other people who are doing
>serious rebuilding work, neither of which particularly wish to talk about
>prices.

>So basically, I'm left with a situation where I'd like to find some input,
>but don't particularly know where or how.

>Any figures, thoughts, ideas, or other remarks you'd like to send my way?
> I'd be open to any and all of them.

Greetings,
   You have to know what you are worth, per hour.  Determining your hourly
rate is the first thing you have to do.  (Wim Blees has a lot of good
perspective on this). Then you add the expenses involved in doing the job.
With experience, a tech learns what jobs were not profitiable, or what prices
are too low.  In beginning, the tech must compete on price, since there is no
other basis for customers to compare.  Quality work will build its own
reputation, which will allow your prices to rise as demand surpasses time.
A technician that is swamped is not charging enough.
   It is essential, for the long haul, that your prices be low enough to be
acceptable to sufficient numbers of customers and high enough so that you are
satisfied with doing this work.  A person that is feeling underpaid will
rarely do the same quality of work as one that feels well compensated,
however, in beginning a business, faith is required that quality will bring
its own rewards and the lower prices necessary to attract business will only
be a temporary thing.
Regards,
Ed Foote
(who still remembers tuning practise room uprights, at night, for $7.00
apiece and thinking it was pretty easy money!(1976)