Prices for rebuilding work

Walter216@AOL.COM Walter216@AOL.COM
Sat, 2 Oct 1999 16:50:25 EDT

Brian:

You can't price your services accurately unless you KNOW how long it takes to
do a given operation.  I originally purchased the rate guide that Newton Hunt
assembled.  Then, I started doing time studies on everything I did in the
shop, comparing my times against the rate guide's.  Your biggest asset in
doing this would be a sport watch with a stopwatch feature, i.e. a Timex
Ironman watch.  It takes a little discipline to remember to use it but is
well worth the effort.

I found that I did some jobs faster than the guide, some slower but overall
it was an accurate predictor of how long you should take on a job.  List the
jobs you do, time study them and then create your price schedule based on
what you need in the way of an hourly rate to be satisfied with your
earnings.  Don't forget to put a "Murphy" into the time allowances for when
things go badly.  Also, always mark up the parts you use.  Your profit on the
parts will pay for any warranty repairs (if necessary) and provide an
additional pad if you make a mistake & have to do something over again.
Once I quote the customer a price, I hate to have to increase it; the time
padding and parts profit make that very unlikely.  Plus, if you do come out
ahead on hours on the job, the customer will be delighted that the bill is
lower than your quote, even if it's only $100 on a $10,000.00 rebuild.

I have a retail price schedule that I use with the public.  If a dealer or
technician has a job for me, I have a set discount for their work.  (20% for
the trade as a whole, with an additional 5% off for PTG members.)  Never
quote the public your discounted rates.  Sooner or later you'll be giving a
quote to someone that has been dealing with a technician you know and you'll
"take" the job away from them.  You are not likely to get business from them
in the future if that happens.

Hope this helps.

Walter Connell
Dallas, TX