Prices for rebuilding work

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sun, 3 Oct 1999 09:15:33 EDT

In a message dated 10/2/99 5:34:39 AM !!!First Boot!!!, btrout@desupernet.net
writes:

<< I need some perspective of what other people are charging for rebuilding
work.  A large piano store in my area has made mention of much rebuilding
work that they could 'send my way', only they have requested a 'price list'
of sorts.  I've got some ideas for much of it, but having been an employee
for so long, and not having access to the 'bottom lines', I'm a little in the
dark as to what others might be charging.

Biran:

I can send you a complete price list for the rebuilding work I do. But that
won't help you much, except to know what I charge. It does include how much
time I spend doing a particular repair, but again, that is how long I take.
You will probably spend more time, (or maybe less).

What you need to do is figure out about how long it takes you to do certain
projects, like stringing, cutting and fitting a pin block, refinishing. etc.
Then figure out how much per hour you can live with. If you want to give the
dealer a break, charge a little less, but I certainly would not go overboard
with this. The time you spend working on a grand for him could be spent
working for yourself.

Where the dealer can save a substantial amount of money is with the parts.
Tell him you will do the labor, if he buys the parts. It will help your cash
flow, and perhaps it will give him a little more appreciation for how much it
costs, in regard to materials, to rebuild a grand.

Good luck.

Willem Blees