Equal Beating, what does it mean?

Clark caccola@net1plus.com
Sun, 03 Oct 1999 02:20:22 -0200

Ric,

Jorgensen's _Tuning_ being right next to me,

"Equal-beating temperament: any temperament that contains two or more intervals
that beat exactly the same speed. In this case, the intervals can never be the
same size." (glossary, p771)

A search of the pianotech archives leads me to believe that this definition is
more strict than what may be accepted, since I would interpret the above as
meaning different intervals (ie. octaves and fifths, fourths and fifths, etc.).

Conrad, could you let me know which cultures would consider what I do as normal?
(Michael:"Are you going to leave those little pink and brown blocks on the
keyboard?" "Those are keys.")

Clark