Equal Beating, what does it mean?

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 01:15:34 -0500

----------
> From: Brian Henselman <musicmasters@worldnet.att.net>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Equal Beating, what does it mean?
> Date: Sunday, October 03, 1999 12:29 AM
>
> I thought in equal temperament that the Major 3rd (C4 to E4) should beat at
> approximately the same speed as the Major 6th (Bb3 to G4).
>
> In your scenario, if this Major 3rd (C to E) is beating as fast a the Major
> 6th (C to A), then it is probably too fast, or the Major 6th (C to A) is
> beating too slow, or you are referring to some temperament other than equal
> temperament.
>
> Cheers,
> Brian Henselman, RPT

Yes,
	In ET the thirds and sixths beat the way you describe.  Yet in pure fifths, a 3rd
and a 6th from the same root have the same rate. And these are gotten by a constant
ratio 1.5 (pure fifth)  Now why would 1.498307 (ET 5th) change that symmetry? In
Werckmiester III with three 1/4 comma fifths and one pure fifth that gives a third
that equals its sixth. Wonder why?
	Too much time on my hands?  Well this has to do with figuring out if they, (in
Classical and Baroque times) could have figured out a way to tune ET  wo cents or
beat tables.  ---ric   (the  i   stands for insomnia)