Finishing question

Mon, 4 Oct 1999 22:39:41 -0400

Bob -

Paste wood filler can be applied before OR after the aniline dyes.  I
prefer using the dyes directly into wood for better clarity, especially
if you are using water soluble dyes.  Also, different fillers will accept
colors in different degrees - some quite well, others not well at all.
However, you do run the risk of sanding thru the filler and into the
color using the dye first, which is why some prefer using it after
filling.

I have not used Behlen filler, but have heard it is as good as most.  As
always, experiment on scrap or on an inconspicuous spot (back of lyre,
lower side of cheeks, inner top of legs, underside of music desk. etc...

Good luck

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com