Caster Cups - odd behavior

Berley A. Firmin FIRMAN1@prodigy.net
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 07:04:44 -0500

Hi all!
Y'all want to hear weird? I was once asked to look at a problem with an
Ampico Reproducer Grand. Seems the sustain pedal would not work.  The
dampers were always slow to return to the strings.
    So, when I got there. I crawled up under the piano on thick, white
carpet, and saddled up to the lyre. I was immediately struck by a terrible
odor and saw rust on the pedal rods. Then I felt a dampness on my shoulder.
Seems the "cute" little yap-yap dog tugging on my pants leg had been using
the lyre for a relief station!.
    The owner laughed and said he did that all the time, and could I just
oil it or something.
    Boy, I could have strangled two living beings at that moment. But, I
said no and drove 60 miles home.
Mr. Berley Antoine Firmin II
Bayou La Combe, Louisiana