plate crack

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Thu, 07 Oct 1999 10:11:53 -0400

Hi Les,

That is a major stress point of the plate because of the compression
vectors are disparate.  ANY crack there is a problem.  I hope you put
pencil marks at the ends of the crack so you can track it's progress.
Pitch variations should be measure and tracked as well.

Is it possible this is a crack in the finish of the plate?

I would immediately contact Kawai and discuss the situation with them
so they know there is a possible problem.

Get as much of the history of the piano as you can.

Information is going to be critical for this instrument and possible
solutions.

Keep us advised.

		Newton