Sustain pedal plastic

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Thu, 07 Oct 1999 10:17:21 -0700

At 11:14 AM 10/07/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>I will soon tune a 1978 Schafer and Sons piano for a customer 50 miles away.
>
>She called and said that "with a bang" the sustain pedal broke. She said it
>wasn't the metal pedal, nor the pedal bearings, nor the dowel, nor the pedal
>rod, but the plastic piece that goes from the pedal to the pedal rod. White
>plastic, snapped in two.
> Has anyone had to
>replace such a broken plastic piece?

Hi, Bill

I assume that this is the same as the Yamaha system, with hollow metal
dowels and
teflon inserts in the ends. After trying all sorts of stuff on one where
the insert came loose (in a P202 in a gospel setting), crunching the tube
to make it fit, etc., I gave up and replaced the whole thing with a good
old-fashioned wooden dowel with 1/2 of a balance rail pin inserted in each
end, and the usual cloth punchings, etc.

I presume that the metal is cheaper to make; otherwise I have no idea why
they abandoned the (less troublesome) old fashioned wooden dowel.

I'd take dowels, balance rail pins, a dab of epoxy, drill, small saw
to cut the wooden dowel to length, the usual pedal stuff; If it turns out
to be something other than the insert in the metal dowel, do tell us what
you find.

Susan