Finishing question

Fri, 8 Oct 1999 07:36:18 -0400

Ric -

I had a feeling we would end up here!  What you are describing, I think,
when you mention "fill the pores" and "padding shellac" is the agreed
upon (mostly) superior finish ever invented - FRENCH POLISHING.  I am not
an expert practitioner of this historic finish, but I have tried it a few
times on projects MUCH smaller than pianos!   I will not attempt to
explain the details, but the "outline" includes first filling the pores
with a mixture of pumice and shellac, all rubbed into the wood rather
laboriously with a special pad.  Once you have seen a true french
polished surface, you will know what I mean by it being superior to
anything else you have ever seen.

I highly suggest you check out two books that explain this extremely
well:
 - Hand Applied Finishes by Jeff Jewitt (available thru Fine Woodworking
and directly from him-let me know if you want the #)

-Understanding Wood Finishing by Bob Flexner (available in most
bookstores)

Another possibility is to make your own oil finish that is fuller bodied.
 Somewhere I have a recipe that I used for numerous pianos some 20 years
ago when I did "low tech" finishes.  I will try to hunt it down - was
turpentine, boiled linseed oil, and marine varnish, in app. equal parts
as I recall.  WAY superior to tung oil in build.  Also, Jeff Jewitt has a
finish supply business for hand applied finishes, and I'm sure he has one
or two "wiping varnishes" that build better than tung oil.  His # is
440-582-8929, "Homestead Finishing Products".

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com