Equal Temperament a Chinese Idea ??

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Fri, 08 Oct 1999 20:35:32 +0200

List .. perhaps this is old news.. but it was new to me so I just
thought I'd pass it along.

An excerpt from an artical on Equal Temperament....by John H. Lienhard

"The startling thing about all this is that the modern scheme of equal
temperament isn't a Western one at all. Mersenne's book came out in
1636.
But a very different author published the same theory a half-century
earlier. It
was published in 1584 by Chu Tsai-Yu, a prince of the Ming dynasty. The
first Western reference to Chu was made by a European mathematician in
620. That was 16 years before Mersenne; and Mersenne didn't mention
Chu at all."