Q:Kranich & Bach Surprise!?

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner@hotmail.com
Fri, 08 Oct 1999 23:07:21 PDT

Hello Clark, thank you for your reply to my query.  The customer just hired
us to tell him what he should sell the piano for, but since we also know the
buyer, when I saw how beautiful the case was and heard the good tone, I
started dreaming that we might actually rebuild it someday and that I should
replace the action if that were feasible.

>From: Clark <caccola@net1plus.com>
>To: pianotech@ptg.org
>Subject: Re: Q:Kranich & Bach Surprise!?
>Date: Sun, 03 Oct 1999 22:37:33 -0200
>
>Diane,
>
>You mention 3 replaced wippens, but don't describe whether these are more
>uneven or the condition of the original wippens themselves. Touch can be
>improved in a number of ways without going through the expense and trouble
>of
>attempting a retrofit of new parts.

Actually the wippens were not replaced, only the jacks which are not the
right size and do not function well at all. These wippens were placed at the
ends of the keyboard (A0, B7 and C8).  The action is very noisy as well as
heavy.

>I am not partial to these retrofits. I am working on one now which came
>here
>with raw, new wippens and shanks purchased labelled as Knabe parts. They
>just
>barely fit the geometry and themselves need considerable rebuilding.

Are there no "universal wippens" that would fit the geometry?  I remember
about 8 years ago rebuilding a Vose & Sons in which I put universal wippens
(I think from  Wally Brooks).  It seemed to work pretty well.

In most
>cases of non-standard broken and missing wippens, I'll fabricate
>replacements
>from scratch.

WOW!  you must be a good carver!  I wouldn't be able to do that.

>I take it the piano plays as is, and (most of) the work you describe is
>fairly
>routine. Is the owner considering selling it in this condition or
>refurbished/rebuilt/refinished?

AS-IS.  He was diagnosed with a rare kind of cancer three weeks ago.
However, if the potential buyer does purchase it,......

It sounds like the piano is one of a kind, or
>one of a limited run but it is _only_ 6' so I would price accordingly.
>
>Clark

Once again, thanks for your input!
Diane