rubber buttons-CA & Aliphatic Resin Combo

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Sun, 10 Oct 1999 22:05:17 -0500

Bill and others,

<<Specifically, I wanted to confirm that Susan's discovery in
which Aliphatic resin glue (sometimes called "yellow glue" or Carpenter's
Wood Glue, a popular brand name is "Titebond") and CA adhesives can work
marvelously well in combination with each other.  Using the combination can
be the best choice in certain circumstances.  >>

There is some good info on CA from this page:
http://www.holdtite.com/english/guides/capage1.htm

<<I used yellow glue which I normally carry with me but using white glue
would  tend to discolor the translucent ivory even less.  I spread the
yellow glue on the wood of the key as thinly and evenly as possible and
leaving only a scant amount at the edge.  I spread the heavier viscosity,
"slow" setting CA glue sparingly but evenly on the ivory, avoiding the
edges.>>

I have used just thin CA glue, and it seemed to work well.  There have not
been any callbacks yet, so I'm assuming that everything is OK.

<<When I have used CA glue alone, it takes too long to set up.  It would
need a light clamp.  When I have used CA glue with the usual accelerator, it
would seem to work well but the bond always proved to be very weak.  The
ivory would always pop off again, sometimes the very next day.  If I would
test one, I could usually pry it right off.>>

Did you use thin CA or thick CA?

John Formsma