Adhesives

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 19:12:02 -0700

>> Anybody got a good adhesive for hammer felts that have come loose from
>> the moulding?

I, once again, prefer to use Elmer's for an accelerator, rather than the
"kick it", which I feel weakens the bond. I take all the spring clamps
I've got, spread the white glue on the felt, drop CA glue (thin) on the
wood molding, then clamp the felt tightly down and leave it for a few
minutes.

So far it has worked, though my feeling is that the felt is not as
tightly stretched as it came from the original press, no matter what method
is used.

Susan

P.S. If you do decide to use the regular accelerator, be sure your
ventilation
is good. In fact, when using a lot of CA glue, always get all the fresh air
you can. In the archive you should be able to find a post talking about CA
glue
liberating small amounts of cyanide gas as it cures. So, if you are doing a
whole set of hammers, take a break and walk around outside every once in a
while.